Here are some startup news snippets from Philippines, not only in its capital, Manila, but also other startup hubs such as Cebu, General Santos City, Pasay, Quezon City, and many more.
(1) Hapinoy was among the five social entrepreneurs from Asia recognized by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship as “Asian Social Entrepreneurs of the Year 2011.”
(2) Erramon I. Aboitiz, president and CEO of AboitizPower, was named the Entrepreneur Of The Year Philippines 2011 in an awards banquet held at the Makati Shangri-La Hotel.
(3) Davao-based entrepreneur Ferdinand Maranon is this year’s Emerging Entrepreneur. The president and CEO of Sagre, a company that exports microwavable frozen saba bananas, was given the award during the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Philippines 2011 in 12th October.
(4) Kalinga Coffee Cookies, the newest locally processed food product of Kalinga province was a nominee in the recent 2011 One Town One Product (OTOP) National Expo Philippines at SM Mega Mall. The province is vying for top honors in the presentation of best products in the country.
(5) In its 25 years of existence, Mekeni Food has endured and survived situations that would have forced other similar companies to close shop. The company started in 1986 as a backyard operation by a husband and wife team who were public school teachers as a way of augmenting their meager salaries. They became bigger and bigger by being resilient and overcoming hurdles.
(6) Remittances from overseas Filipino workers (OFW) have been driving the Philippine economy. But while consumption generates economic growth, the government is also looking long-term. It wants more OFWs to invest their remittances to become entrepreneurs.
(7) Business solutions at a cost that is easy on SMEs are now available, thanks to various packages offered by Globe Business.
(8) A band of buddies doing some baking: that basically describes the idea from which this little home-based business was founded. Good friends ever since their freshmen years, the gang decided to go with the flow and allow their camaraderie to give birth to good-looking, great tasting cupcakes.
(9) AT the 99th anniversary celebration of the historic Manila Hotel last week, Pres. Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III reiterated his support for the country’s tourism sector. PNoy made it clear that his administration will strive hard to improve tourism in the country with the help of stakeholders.
(10) More schools and institutions are now helping to nurture entrepreneurship among young Filipinos, and experts said this is the country’s answer to unemployment.
(11) Filipino ultra-marathoner and entrepreneur Cesar Guarin is helping to raise funds for street children as he embarks on the Australia leg of his run around the world. Guarin, president and general manager of CEJOGUA Sports Corporation (CSC), is set to become the first Filipino, first Asian, and fourth person in history to run around the world.
We thank nordicfactory for the flag image.
Link to full article